Frugal Fridays With Jen - Frugal Breakfasts

Posted by Unknown on Thursday, June 9, 2011

I have a favorite local restaurant that is a favorite of foodies. They make a delicious polenta as a special sometimes and it is fantastic. Considering polenta is really just cornmeal, salt, and water, I probably pay an insanely marked-up price for the privilege of eating a fancified version of cornmeal mush.

I can get 24 oz can of corn meal for $1 with a deal. A half cup serving is enough for just me and I can get about 6 servings in a container, making each serving about $0.17! I use this recipe at Hillbilly Housewife. You can eat it with fruit, milk, honey, or fry it up in olive oil or bacon grease.

I typically can get a box of brand name Cheerios that holds 9 servings for $0.50. That makes each one cup serving $0.06! I can pair that with an organic banana for $0.20 and 1/2 cup of milk, making the meal about $0.40. This is a favorite for our son.

I can also get about 3 pounds of oatmeal for about $1. With 30 servings in a container, that makes each serving about $0.03! I usually pair mine with 1/2 cup of milk and a sparing teaspoon each of more expensive walnuts and raisins. If you love the instant type oatmeal, here is a homemade version. I often can get Quaker Instant Oatmeal packets for $0.50 a box, though. With 10 packages, each serving is $0.05. However, I find the instant type too sweet, and often throw out half of the block of sweetened flavor mixture. Never mind that I am less in control of what goes in it, and wasting more packaging. I typically prefer my cheaper version. If you can't get the quick plain oats at a lower price, you can make steel cut oatmeal in the slow cooker overnight. Mmmmmmmmm....

My typically weekday morning standby is also frugal: a single slice of toast with peanut butter. I get the whole grain bread that is $2 and peanut butter for typically less than $0.50. A slice of bread is $0.12 and a serving of peanut butter is $0.04- or $0.16 for my breakfast. Beats the drive-through eh?

I know it seems odd to calculate the individual serving cost of breakfast, but the benefits are twofold: if we consistently eat the lowest cost meals most days of the week, our wallets will see a reduction in spending; and if we measure out the correct portion, and therefore the correct amount we are spending, we may see a reduction in our weight as well. I certainly have!

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment