Frugal Fridays With Jen- Group Deals

Posted by Unknown on Thursday, March 3, 2011


One of the ways I decided to reduce my spending even more this year was to find a way to get my hair cut and highlighted and my feet pampered by pedicures for less. I know there are many women who can buy a box of dye at the drugstore and a bottle of nail polish and look fantastic, but I am not one of them. I just do not have the fine motor skills- and if I used a home highlighting kit, I would end up looking like the above picture.

The guy down the street can cut and highlight my almost-waist-length hair for $110 total (half the price of the fancier salon), and the gal who rents a booth from him can give me a relaxing whirlpool pedicure for $35. I, however, don't want to spend $145 every 8 weeks if I can help it, as I am trying to keep my entertainment budget to $100 a month.

My solution? Group discount deals from Groupon, livingsocial, and citydeals.

If you sign up to receive email alerts from them, you will be notified the day a deal becomes available, often saving 40-60% on services (salons, massage therapy, housecleaning), restaurants, or retail stores. This past month, I bought a haircut and highlight at one salon for $40 (tip is not included), a makeover of haircut, highlight, manicure, mini massage, and brow waxing for $60, and 5 Blockbuster Express rentals for $2.

If you use Swagbucks, like I do, it will give you a daily updated list of all these local deals, and even let you earn over 300 Swagbucks for every group deal you buy through their site. By purchasing these three deals through their site, as I would have anyway, I was able to earn the equivalent of $10 in amazon.com gift cards, thereby increasing my savings even more.

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment