Frugal Fridays With Jen- Bartering and Spend-Free Gift Giving

Posted by Unknown on Friday, April 15, 2011


This article on The Simple Dollar caught my attention this week. I love the idea of the gift of time, effort, and thoughtfulness in place of buying something. Some of the best gifts I've gotten have not cost a penny, especially:

* My mother and sister's weekly free babysitting
* Meals brought by friends during an illness or after our children were born
* My friend and fellow-frugalista Diane, who spent an evening helping me wash walls to prep for a painter
* My father-in-law spending 12 hour days putting a new floor on our deck
* Friends who helped us move into our home
* My friend Bridget who used her amazing Domestic Goddess powers to make the above dairy-free Thomas The Tank Engine cake
* My best friend Val, who helped me paint my master bathroom as a birthday gift'
* My friend Laura, who, as an experienced pediatric ER nurse, has taken my calls at every hour of the day or night and phone triaged my children's symptoms

It made me think, as well, what skills I had to offer, either to give or to barter:
* Who needs nursing skills? No doubt I am qualified to take an elderly parent to the doctor or provide an evening of respite.
* Private couponing lessons!
* Personal shopping service, frugal style
* Experienced infant care
* Cloth diapering lessons
* Using my social work skills to link people with community services

I would surely be willing to trade a few hours of dementia care and setting up a medication set for a haircut and highlights, or trade 2 hours of couponing lessons for a massage.

What about you? Have you ever given the gift of time, or traded services in lieu of cash?

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment