Frugal Fridays With Jen- Planning For Black Friday

Posted by Unknown on Thursday, November 11, 2010

When I was in nursing school, I often had to get up at 4am to make it to my clinical assignment by 7am. When I finished school, I swore I would never get up at the rooster's crow again for anything short of a crying baby or sick child.

Of course, that means that I will not be getting up at the crack of dawn the day after Thanksgiving to get the best sales. My family does not really focus on gifts- though we do focus on food- and my shopping list is very, very small. The husband and I don't exchange gifts, we don't exchange gifts with our siblings or extended family, and we do something small for our parents. We also feel strongly about not inundating our son with gifts. He gets a new coloring book, 6 used books I found on Paperback Swappers, a used Blues Clues computer game from Half-Price Books, and a couple board games I just got in a great Toys R Us deal this week for less than $2 each (the other games are stockpiled for future gifts). I spent a total of $11 out of pocket.

Black Friday can be a good day to plan for the next year's worth of needs and wants, however, as long as you don't go hog wild and buy more than you really need.

My suggestions:

Look ahead to the next 12 months and list out your gift-giving needs for the coming holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, and baby showers.

Think ahead, as well, to what might need replacing in the next year. Did you get your toaster for a wedding present back in 1978? Is it on its last leg? Are you sending a kid to college and needing things for the dorm room?

Once you have your list, keep an eye on those Black Friday ads and compare prices. I suggest these sites, Black Friday 2010 and Slick Deals, that keep a comprehensive listing of deals. When I am shopping for my weekly deals, I make a list for each store and the prices I can get for what I need. Sometimes I hit 1-2 stores, and sometimes I hit 8. If you are hitting a lot of stores, making a list and sticking to it will save you time.

Don't forget that if you can't stand the idea of the lines and mayhem of Black Friday, there is always Cyber Monday, with its online deals galore, all from the comfort of your own home. You can use the sites I linked to for those deals as well.

And most important of all, be patient and mannerly. No blender for $10.99 is worth beating up somebody's grandmother for!

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment