To Every Thing there is a Season

Posted by Unknown on Tuesday, November 16, 2010


This post is dedicated to MarthaM and her family, and everyone, (including myself), whose holiday season is also marked with Grief.

Thanksgiving used to be my most favorite holiday, I have delightful memories of warm and wonderful times with my family.

That all changed when my older brother, Jim died 26 years ago at the age of 24 years old, on Thanksgiving Day. We were very close, I miss him still.

It was a very dark and sad time for our family, and for me. I went through such a period of self destruction, I sometimes am amazed that I survived at all. I couldn't let my parents bury two children, and I struggled through that part of the grief process with good counseling and support. I learned how important it is to take care of yourself during the acute grieving process.

I work to honor the love, life, and spirit of my brother, grandparents, and all my lost loved ones by creating new memories and sharing traditions with our children, family, and friends. This is their due, their right, my privilege, to share their stories and lives, and keep their love alive, and part of our lives, every day, especially during the holidays.

From the Book of Ecclesiastes, words attributed to King Solomon, popularized by The Byrds' song, Turn!Turn!Turn!

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, a time to reap that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;


For those who are grieving this season, you are not alone, I abide with you.

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment