Frugal Fridays With Jen- Craigslist Deals

Posted by Unknown on Thursday, May 19, 2011


Pictured above is my 3 month old daughter modeling the Bumbo seat I found on Craigslist two years ago for a mere $15. It came in the original box and was in mint condition.

I've had a lot of success on Craigslist: an $80 headboard, a $120 patio set with new umbrella, a Little Tykes toolbench for $20, a $20 tricycle, and wool cloth diaper covers for less than 25% the original price.

A few suggestions:

Meet somewhere public, if possible. I do most of my exchanges in the parking lot of a nearby grocery store. When I was hunting for a patio set, I took my husband with me. Never go to a stranger's house alone. Even if you are meeting someone in a parking lot, be sure it is daytime, you have a cell phone on you, and someone knows where you are going.

Have a clear idea about what you need and if you really need it- this will cut down on senseless buying.

Research the normal price of an item before you start searching. Not everything on Craigslist is priced well. I usually have a price that I will not go over.

Be prepared to negotiate a lower price. I've been able to talk people down most of the time.

When you are responding to an ad, calling is a faster route than emailing. I've gotten most of my deals when I could call and get my foot in the door.

Bring cash.

Don't be afraid to decline an item that does not match its description or looks more worse for wear than expected.

People who are moving are more likely to have things for sale they have to get rid of fast and can't keep around. You may be able to negotiate a much lower price than usual.

If you live in an area with major bedbug problems like I do, don't buy a used couch or mattress from someone unless you know them well. The creepy little crawlies may be hiding in the furniture, even if it looks nice.

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment