Motivation Monday - Emergency Preparedness

Posted by Unknown on Sunday, May 15, 2011

This past weekend we had a direct lightning strike at our home. It was the weirdest thing and scary besides. When it hit, the whole house went a blinding blue for a second. I know for just a fleeting moment we all thought we were done for!

We were without power for almost 12 hours. The experience made me realize how complacent I've become about storm warnings and how unprepared I really am.

Living in Florida severe thunderstorms are so common that we get to where we disregard the warnings. None of us thought a thing about having TV on, being on our computers, and the boys on their video games while the thunder and lightning crashed all around us. We were very lucky that nobody was hurt when it hit our home.

The boys enjoying a game of chess by candlelight

Please be sure to heed any weather warnings - better safe than sorry. I know we will play by the rules during any future storms.

When I think of emergency preparedness I usually think of the big things that I would need in the case of a serious emergency situation. For us here in Florida that would usually be a hurricane. I make sure at this time of year I start stocking up on things such as nonperishable food, a huge stock of bottled water, batteries, flashlights, having an waterproof evacuation bin ready to go, etc.

What I almost never think about are the little things that just make things more comfortable and more safe in the even of a minor problem like we experienced this past weekend. On my shopping list will be better quality candles and even better I'm on the lookout for battery powered lights and fans. Having the candles is a dangerous situation with 3 kitties roaming the house. We had to make sure we didn't leave them unattended for even a second. Also the heat got almost unbearable, battery powered fans would have been a most welcome addition - if such a thing exists. We also realized that we foolishly no longer own a battery powered radio, that's a must!

There are two big things that I don't have that I really should - a generator and a weather radio. I can't believe with as prone as we are to hurricanes and major storms that I've never purchased either one. I'm definitely going to price those items as well.

Let my experience motivate you to think about all different aspects of emergency preparedness, and to get moving to make sure you are ready!

Check out the FEMA website for more information on being prepared and having a plan.

Wishing you a Motivated Monday!

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment