Frugal Fridays With Jen- Make-Ahead Pizza Dough

Posted by Unknown on Friday, December 3, 2010

Making your own pizza at home can save a lot of money. Ordering at Domino's can cost us at least $15. A DiGiorno Pizza on sale plus coupon can cost us $4.99. A cheapie store-brand $1 pizza- my husband can easily eat 3 of those, I can eat 1, and my dairy-allergic son can't eat it at all.

If I make it at home, however, I can guarantee it's dairy-free and it will only cost me about $0.50. For those of us that eat cheese, I still have a stockpile of free cheese in my freezer, I have free olive oil for the crust, bulk-bought yeast, low-cost flour, a $0.15 can of tomato sauce that I mix with 1 TB of seasoning and fresh garlic for sauce, plus whatever leftover veggies I have on hand. If I have stockpiled pepperoni on hand I add a few slices too.

We got a bread machine for a wedding gift 5 years ago, and really only use it for making dough. It generally takes 90 minutes to cycle through a dough cycle, and we eat it almost every week. The only thing I really need to save with this meal is time, as waiting that long for dinner on a Friday night is just too much.

My solution- freezing dough ahead of time. You can freeze dough at just about any point in the process, but I prefer to make multiple crusts at one time on Sundays, par-bake, and freeze individually. It tends to be less gooey in the middle when you bake it the final time.

Enjoy!

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment