Motivation Monday - Food and Family Matters

Posted by Unknown on Sunday, August 28, 2011

This is a post from my blog Seaside Simplicity this past weekend. I decided it would be great for Motivation Monday and decided to repeat it here today.

When I first started my food blog Seaside Simplicity it wasn't because I spend all my time in the kitchen cooking up all kinds of complicated recipes and creating amazing meals, it was quite the opposite - I am a full time working mother, one that loves to cook and appreciates good food, but with little time for those things I had to find creative ways to prepare good meals for my family that don't require a lot of time or expense...




Italian Hot Dogs

I have always been determined not to fall into the unhealthy routine so many others do these days of picking up fast food or cooking prepackaged frozen dinners or something from a box on a regular basis. It's always been important to me, and part of how I judge myself as a wife and mother to have home-cooked meals. It's not only for the nutritional value and enjoying good food, but even more important is keeping the family dinner together each evening alive and well.

I have observed that families who still sit down for dinner together are closer than families who don't, they tend to work together better in general and have less struggles and issues in all areas of life. I have had friends say to me "What's your secret? How did you raise such good kids? Are you just lucky?" I honestly believe it's the fact that we sit down together just about every night for dinner. It keeps us close and keeps that family bond that is so often lacking in families these days. Think about your own mealtime habits and those of others you know. Talk to friends and coworkers about it. I think you'll also see the patterns and what a difference the simple act of having dinner together each evening can make.

My goal at Seaside Simplicity has always been to share with others how I create very simple homemade meals for my family that are uncomplicated, quick to prepare, inexpensive, and generally both nutritious and delicious. It does take a little planning ahead, but it's well worth it.




Pasta with Fresh Clams

I spend about 15 minutes every weekend planning our meals for the week. On Sundays I like to do as much prepping as I can for the week ahead, including cooking some things in advance whenever possible. Most of my meals are on the table in under 30 minutes.

Sometimes I like to double or triple the main dish for intentional leftovers to be creative for a different meal the next night...




Giant Meatloaf Puffs From Leftovers

Occasionally meals are only half homemade, using canned veggies or a packaged rice or stuffing for the sides like the meal below - even half homemade beats fast food any day!




 Pork Chops - Half Homemade Meal

So what prompted this post you ask - I was one of the lucky ones who received a free copy of the book The Hour That Matter Most to review. I plan to sit down to read it this weekend and thought I'd give my own thoughts on the family dinner and some samples of some of my own simple meals (just click the link below each photo to go to the recipes) before I get started on the book. I have a feeling my views will be similar and I'm very excited to have this opportunity.


          The Hour That Matters Most launches September 6, 2011
         For more information visit, www.thehourthatmattersmost.com
         Available for purchase on Amazon and Barnes & Noble
       Price: $15.99

Be on the look out for my upcoming review at Seaside Simplicity.

Wishing you a Motivated Monday and a great week!
.

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment